by Gina Trapani
You’re headed home next week to a turkey feast with all the trimmings – and Mom and Dad’s computer. You know what’s going to happen.
I keep getting these pop ups, he’ll say. It’s just been so slow lately, she’ll say. I keep seeing this flashing picture of a roulette wheel that just won’t go away. Can you take a look at it?
Fear not, my friend. The annual Family Computer Fixing event is upon us, and you are the emcee. Before you nobly trudge into helpdesk hell, here’s a little checklist of ways to get your parents’ creaky PC back in tip-top shape – at least, until next year.
- Kill the spyware
- Update Windows
- Switch the system’s default web browser to Firefox
- Uninstall unneeded programs
- Trim down the startup program list
- Install a firewall
- Scan and defragment the hard drive
- Add a hard drive or PCI card